The Birth of the Nation
- My friend Scott Smith sent me the picture above of the “Nat Turner Lives” outdoor billboard on the south side of Chicago.
- The movie didn’t fare well at the box-office, and “Why?” has spurred a thousand hot takes about it movie from the standing ovation it received at Sundance earlier this year to a less-than stellar reception and the causes behind it, including the rape allegations against Nate Parker that dominated the news cycles in the months leading up to release.
- Warner Bros. has launched a new site meant to look like an ARGUS database that promises more information about the characters from the movie as we get closer to its home video release.
- Sony is launching a VR mobile game as part of the promotions for the movie’s home video release.
- Director Paul Feig talked recently about the environment, both social and political, the movie was released in, the reaction to the film and more.
- I was wrong, Netflix did create at least a twitter account for the movie.
- Mark Duplass talked about his career as a whole and the role Blue Jay plays in it here, hitting topics like his love of making small movies with untested directors, working outside the studio system and more. Both he and Paulson were interviewed here about the genesis of the movie, the way they collaborated on the story and more.
- Filmmaker Magazine has a great interview with director Kelly Reichardt on making the movie, telling important stories and more.